1. Am I eligible?
The Small Business Energy Solutions program is available to BGE business customers on rate schedule G or GS, who have monthly billing demands of less than 60 kilowatts (kW). To determine your rate schedule, look under the "Electric Details" section of your BGE distribution bill.
2. How do I participate?
- Make the call. Get started by calling one of BGE's participating contractors , who will visit your facility and conduct a detailed energy assessment. It's included as part of your BGE service, so there's no additional cost to you.
- Review recommendations. Receive a comprehensive lighting and/or refrigeration controls evaluation with recommendations noting the costs, incentives and payback period.
- Make the upgrades. Have your participating contractor install the recommended measures. Remember to ask if you're eligible for our Small Business Energy Advance option.
- Enjoy the savings. Watch your energy and maintenance cost savings accumulate over the lifetime of the installed products, leading to substantial long-term savings.
3. Do I have to use a specific contractor, or can I find my own?
To participate, customers must use the designated contractor for their geographic location:
- C&J Contractors: Serving Anne Arundel, Baltimore County – West of I-83, Calvert and Carroll Counties
- Facility Solutions Group: Serving Baltimore City, Baltimore County – East of I-83 and Harford County
- Matrix Energy Services: Serving Howard, Montgomery and Prince George's Counties
- National Resource Management : Serving the refrigeration or other cooling-related needs of customers in all BGE service counties.
4. How will my business benefit?
- Substantially reduced energy costs
- Savings up to 70% on the cost of energy efficiency measures
- Return on your investment in as little as a year
- Increased employee morale and productivity
- Improved customer experiences
- Enhanced image as an energy-efficient business and environmental steward
5. What type of upgrades are available?
- Lighting Measures: Upgrade to high-performance fixtures and high-efficiency LED, CFL and fluorescent lighting. Replace exit signs with LED units. Install occupancy sensors and lighting controls.
- Refrigeration Measures: Install high-efficiency electronically regulated fan motors and controllers. Replace reach-in cooler lights with energy-efficient LEDs. Install vending machine controls.
- Water Heating Measures: Upgrade electric water heating, including pre-rinse spray valves, pipe insulation, tank wraps and efficient-flow faucet aerators.
- Additional Measures: Save up to 50% on other measures, such as commercial kitchen, appliance, plug load and HVAC equipment replacement and HVAC tune-ups.
6. What is the average amount businesses save?
|Average Savings Example|
|Total Project Cost:||$4,955|
|Incentives Paid (Up to 70%):||$3,468|
|Cost to Customer||$1,487|
|Energy Savings:||12,313 kWh/year|
|Payback Period:||< 1 year|
|Annual Energy Savings:||$1,755|