BGE residential electric customers can purchase an ENERGY STAR® certified appliance at any Maryland retailer, or have paid the applicable Maryland sales and use tax. They must then complete a rebate application form to receive their rebate. Click here for details.
2. Why is BGE involved with ENERGY STAR®?
BGE has always sought ways to help our customers save energy and money while helping protect the environment. Educating everyone about the benefits of ENERGY STAR helps us achieve that goal. ENERGY STAR provides complimentary resources, which BGE is using to enhance its programs.
3. What does ENERGY STAR® certified mean?
ENERGY STAR is a nationally recognized, joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy. It helps us all save money and protect the environment through energy-efficient products and practices. Next time you’re looking for new household products, look for the ENERGY STAR. This symbol means the product or service meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the EPA and U.S. Department of Energy. You can identify them by the blue ENERGY STAR label.
For more information on ENERGY STAR, please visit: www.energystar.gov/faqs.
4. Does my new Appliance Qualify for a Rebate?
Clothes Washer Rebates
- $75 rebate: Get a $75 rebate on the purchase of an ENERGY STAR® certified clothes washer with an Integrated Modified Energy Factor (IMEF) of 2.74 or above, and an Integrated Water Factor (IWF) less than or equal to 3.2.
- $100 rebate: Get a $100 rebate on the purchase of a super-efficient ENERGY STAR certified clothes washer with an Integrated Modified Energy Factor (IMEF) of 2.92 or above, and an Integrated Water Factor (IWF) less than or equal to 3.2.
Click here to see which models qualify for a rebate. Models listed as Tier 2 on the first page qualify for $75 and models listed as Tier 3 on the second page qualify for $100.
Electric Clothes Dryer and Heat Pump Dryer Rebates
Must be an ENERGY STAR certified model to qualify for a BGE Smart Energy Savers Program rebate. View a list of qualifying models here.
Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater Rebate
On April 16, 2015 new federal standards took effect mandating an increase in minimum energy efficiency requirements for all water heaters. To qualify for the $500 hybrid heat pump water heater rebate, the ENERGY STAR certified model must fit the following criteria:
- ENERGY STAR Hybrid heat pump water heaters with volumes of 55 gallons and below, must have an Energy Factor (EF) of 2.0 or above. This new standard will increase the efficiency of typical-sized units by 4% on average.
- ENERGY STAR Hybrid heat pump water heaters with volumes over 55 gallons must have an EF of 2.2 or above.
According to the US Department of Energy, this 2015 update will result in approximately $63 billion in energy bill savings for products shipped from 2015-2044 along with a significant decrease in carbon dioxide emissions.
Pool Pump Rebates
- Get a $150 rebate on the purchase of an ENERGY STAR® certified two-speed (multi-speed) pool pump. View a list of ENERGY STAR certified models here. Only models listed as having a multi-speed motor design are eligible for this rebate.
- Get a $400 rebate on the purchase of an ENERGY STAR certified variable speed pool pump. View a list ENERGY STAR certified models here. Only models listed as having variable speed or variable flow motor designs are eligible for this rebate.
- $100 Rebate: Get a $100 rebate on an ENERGY STAR certified refrigerator rated 15% better than the federal standard and on a super-efficient ENERGY STAR certified refrigerator rated 20% better than the federal standard.
View a list of qualifying models here. Compact refrigerator models (refrigerators 10 cubic feet and under) are not eligible for either rebate.
- Must be an ENERGY STAR certified model to qualify for a BGE Smart Energy Savers Program rebate. View a list of qualifying models here.