Home Performance with ENERGY STAR®
Limited Time Offer
10% higher rebates for qualifying work now through November 1st
Call a participating contractor now to schedule a home energy audit. Talk with your contractor about improvement work and reserve your rebates before November 1, 2019.
Do you have a room that's hot in the summer and cold in the winter? No matter what you do to reduce your energy use, do your bills stay high? Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® offers a comprehensive, whole-house approach to improving your home's energy efficiency, comfort and safety while helping to reduce your energy costs by up to 20%.
Home Energy Audit
The first step is scheduling a home energy audit. A certified contractor will use diagnostic equipment to perform a comprehensive home energy audit and determine how improvements throughout your home can work together to maximize energy efficiency and savings. Some of these tests may include:
- A blower door test that uses the combination of pressure and airflow measurements to determine your home's air leakage, which contributes to higher energy costs.
- Thermographic camera tests that use infrared images to assess the effectiveness of your home's insulation, which directly affects your home's comfort and energy efficiency performance.
- Combustion and safety testing to detect carbon monoxide and natural gas leaks.
- Verification of adequate ventilation, which is critical to reducing indoor air pollutants, moisture and odors in your home. Without proper ventilation, some household contaminants can cause health problems, while excess moisture can lead to mold growth and physical damage to your home.
If you have a specific issue that's bothering you, like a bedroom that's always too hot or too cold, your contractor can help you understand the cause and provide solutions.
In addition to the home energy audit, which costs just $100* (a $400 value) for BGE customers, some of the following simple energy-saving items may be installed with your permission (where applicable)—at no additional cost:
- Light-emitting diodes (LEDs)
- Faucet aerators
- Efficient-flow showerheads—fixed mount or hand held
- Water heater pipe insulation
- Smart power strips
- ShowerStart showerhead adapter
Benefits resulting from your home energy audit and completion of the recommended upgrades can include the following:
- Potential energy cost savings of up to 20%
- $100 rebates on up to three qualifying ENERGY STAR® certified smart thermostats with professional installation
- Fewer drafts and more comfortable room temperatures
- Work performed by specially trained contractors
- Third-party quality assurance to check that all work is done properly
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions
*The $100 offer is valid for homes up to 3,000 square feet with a single combustion appliance zone. Audits of larger homes or ones with multiple combustion appliance zones may cost more. Customers should discuss the cost with their selected participating contractor. Each customer is eligible for one program-discounted home energy audit per unique street address.
Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® Rebates
Rebates averaging $2,500 from the BGE Smart Energy Savers Program® are available, based on approved measures and rebate reservation. Your rebate amount is based on estimated electric and gas savings of eligible measures. Your rebate amount is calculated by your contractor using Beacon HEA energy modeling software.
|Air Sealing and Insulation Measures||Rebate amount based on modeled electric and gas savings up to $7,500 or 75% of total project cost.|
|Duct Sealing||$500, or $750 if done in combination with Air Sealing and Insulation.|
|Heating and Air Conditioning Equipment Rebates†||Rebate amount based on modeled electric and gas savings up to $7,500 or 75% of total project cost.|
|Smart Thermostat||$100 per ENERGY STAR® certified smart thermostat with professional installation. Up to three.|
|Total Maximum Customer Rebate||Rebate amount based on modeled electric and gas savings up to $7,500 or 75% of total project cost.|
†Note: If you apply for rebates on heating and cooling equipment under the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program, you cannot apply for rebates on the same equipment under the heating and cooling equipment rebate program.
Learn more about eligible HVAC equipment upgrades through the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Program.
To take advantage of program rebates, you must work with a participating contractor.
Learn more about specific measures and rebates.
Maximize Your Savings
Your contractor will provide a Prioritized List of Measures to help you determine the best improvements for your home and reserve your rebates through this program. All customer rebates are paid after project completion.
If you are interested in financing opportunities, the following loan options have been created specifically for Maryland residents performing energy efficiency improvements.
- Energy Finance Solutions – Loans for qualified applicants up to $15,000 (unsecured), beginning at 8.49% with fixed-rate terms up to 10 years.
- BeSMART Energy Efficiency Financing – Loans for qualified applicants up to $30,000 (unsecured) at a 4.99% fixed interest rate for a 10 year term.
BGE does not endorse any particular financing organization, please research options prior to submitting an application for financing.