Get rewarded for recycling your old appliances!
We make it easy. Let us pick up your old (working) refrigerator or freezer for recycling and get your reward!
Sign up or call 866.898.1901 to schedule a pickup.
- $50 Reward — Receive a $50 reward when you recycle a refrigerator or freezer.
- $25 Reward — Receive a $25 bonus if you also recycle an old, working room air conditioner or dehumidifier at the same time as your refrigerator or freezer pickup.
A spare refrigerator or freezer in your basement or garage could be wasting up to 1,200 kWh of energy and nearly $100 in electric costs every year.* By recycling your old appliances, you’ll save energy and money.
Through this program, more than 95% of each appliance is recycled and properly disposed of, preventing it from entering a landfill. Recycling also helps reduce the need for new raw materials, such as steel, aluminum, copper, glass and plastic. Recycling appliances leads to an enormous reduction in energy consumption; emissions of ozone-depleting substances and greenhouse gases; and releases of PCBs, mercury, and used oil into the environment.
- You must be a BGE residential electric customer with a valid account number.
- You must own the refrigerator, freezer, dehumidifier or room air conditioner.
- The refrigerator and/or freezer must be 10 to 30 cubic feet.
- Your appliance must be in working condition.
- An adult age 18 or older must be present at the time of pick-up.
- Your appliance will be picked up, at no charge, from the address listed on your billing account.
- There must be a clear and safe passage for unit removal. We cannot remove railings or move furniture in the home.
- The refrigerator, freezer or dehumidifier must be cleaned out, and room air conditioner must be removed from window prior to pick-up.
- Elevator access is required for any unit located above the second floor.
- The $50 and/or $25 rewards will be mailed to you within four to six weeks.
- Limit of two large appliances (refrigerator and/or freezer) and two small appliances (room air conditioners and/or dehumidifiers) per BGE residential household per year.
Renters and Landlords
If you are a renter or landlord applying for an appliance recycling reward, you may need to send in an additional form before you can receive your check, or you may need to use a different form altogether. Learn More.
* Actual energy and cost savings will vary by equipment model and region. These estimates are conservative and based on national averages (www.energystar.gov).