What is BGE's Smart Energy Savers Program?
BGE’s Smart Energy Savers Program is a family of smart choices that will help you conserve energy, save money and improve the environment. By providing a variety of programs, services and incentives, we are working to accomplish these goals together with you, our valued customers.
What are the benefits of the BGE Smart Energy Savers Program?
BGE’s Smart Energy Savers Program enables customers to control energy use, leading to more efficient use of electricity and potentially lowering their energy bills. Collectively, the programs help contain the cost of energy and improve reliability. They also help to reduce peak demand and slow the growth in energy consumption to reduce the need for more power plants.
Can customers participate in more than one of the BGE Smart Energy Savers Program?
Yes. Visit BGESmartEnergy.com to review other offers.
Who pays for these programs and how much do they cost?
The rebates and discounts offered as part of BGE's Smart Energy Savers Program benefit all BGE customers. These programs help to manage energy usage and reduce energy costs. Using less energy reduces the need for new power plants and distribution system upgrades, saving money for all customers.
To provide customers with these cost-saving programs, surcharges have been added to customers' monthly bills.
- The 2019 "EmPOWER Md. Chg." for a residential electric customer is 0.74 cents per kWh or about $6.81 per month for an average home that uses 925 kWh per month.
- The average residential gas customer who consumes 57 therms per month will see a monthly gas surcharge of $2.26 per month which reflects an EmPOWER MD surcharge rate of 4.0 cents per therm.
Customers can offset this surcharge by participating in the BGE Smart Energy Savers Program:
- Customers can sign up for a Quick Home Energy Check-up at no additional cost to find ways to save money in their home, and receive energy saving measures as part of the Check-up. Customers can save $50 per year if they allow the energy efficiency professional to install energy saving items such as LEDs, efficient flow shower heads and pipe insulation at no additional cost.
- Customers can take advantage of appliance rebates to save $30-$500 on a new appliance.
- Customers can also take simple measures, such as purchasing and installing six LED bulbs in high use areas through the Lighting Discount Program. According to ENERGY STAR®, a single LED bulb can save up to $55 in electricity costs over its lifetime!
Visit www.BGESmartEnergy.com to see how you can take advantage of energy efficiency and conservation programs designed to help you conserve energy, save money and protect the environment.
Why do BGE customers have to pay the surcharge?
All BGE customers benefit from these programs. The BGE Smart Energy Savers Program was introduced, first and foremost, to help individual customers save money, improve reliability and protect the environment. The program provides customers with a variety of ways they can save, including rebates, discounts and incentives on equipment as small as a LED bulb or as large as an ENERGY STAR refrigerator or electric heat pump. The old counterparts, like the incandescent bulb, on the surface, may appear to be cheaper but the investment will save more money and energy over the life of the equipment.
Does the BGE Smart Energy Savers Program have money and energy saving programs for renters?
Yes, as a renter, you have many options for saving energy in your home. BGE offers a host of empowering choices to help you conserve energy, save money, and protect the environment. For an overview of all the programs available to renters and more information on how to participate, Click Here. Some programs require landlord consent.