At BGE, safety is our top priority. As part of our commitment to safety, we’re closely monitoring developments related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and taking appropriate precautions to protect the health and safety of our customers, contractors and employees. At this time, scheduled pickup appointments under the Residential Appliance Recycling Program will be canceled, and we’ll contact you to reschedule at a later date. In addition, we’re no longer scheduling new appointments. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please check back soon for updates.
Let us pick up and haul away your old refrigerator or freezer for recycling—at no additional cost to you—and get rewarded!
- $50 reward for recycling an old, working refrigerator or freezer.
- $25 reward if you also recycle an old, working room air conditioner or dehumidifier at the same time as your refrigerator or freezer.
Have questions? Call 866.898.1901 for more information.
That spare refrigerator or freezer in your basement or garage could be wasting nearly $100 in electric costs every year.* By properly recycling your older, inefficient appliances, you’re not only helping to reduce energy demand, but you’re also helping reduce:
- Ozone-depleting emissions
- Greenhouse gases
- Materials in landfills
- Toxic chemicals and oil in the environment
- Demand for raw materials, such as steel, copper, aluminum, glass and plastic
Who Can Participate
- You must be a BGE residential electric customer with a valid account number. Your appliance(s) will be picked up, at no charge, from the address listed on your billing account.
- You must own the refrigerator, freezer, dehumidifier or room air conditioner.
- The refrigerator and/or freezer must be 10 to 30 cubic feet.
- The refrigerator, freezer and/or dehumidifier must be cleaned out, and room air conditioner must be removed from window prior to pickup.
- Your appliances must be in working condition. We are unable to accept any units with mold or mildew damage.
- An adult age 18 or older must be present at the time of pickup.
- There must be a clear and safe passage for unit removal. We cannot remove railings or move furniture in the home.
- Elevator access is required for any refrigerators or freezers located above the second floor.
- Limit of three large units (refrigerators and/or freezers) and four small units (room air conditioners and/or dehumidifiers) per BGE residential household from 1/1/2018 through 12/31/2020.
Getting Your Reward
Renters and Landlords
If you are a renter or landlord applying for an appliance recycling reward, you may need to submit an additional form before you can receive your check. Learn more.
*Actual energy and cost savings will vary by equipment model and region. These estimates are conservative and based on national averages (www.energystar.gov).