At BGE, safety is our top priority. As part of our commitment to safety, we’re closely monitoring developments related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and taking appropriate precautions to protect the health and safety of our customers, contractors and employees. At this time, BGE recommends that participating contractors and Service Providers only enter buildings with the prior consent of businesses, and that they follow the Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) recommended precautions. Please check back soon for updates.
Building Operation Training
Operating a building at the highest level of energy efficiency can be challenging. The increasing complexities of interdependent building systems—from HVAC motors and frequency drives to lighting and energy management systems—require building operators to possess a comprehensive understanding of how everything works together in order to optimize energy efficiency.
How We Can Help
BGE offers financial incentives that cover up to 80% of enrollment costs or a maximum of $1,000 per course, whichever is less, for approved building operation and maintenance training.
You can choose to take courses related to equipment upgrades and replacements involving variable frequency drives, lighting retrofits and controls and other energy-saving measures. Check out our list of prequalified courses and certifications below.
Why You Should Get Trained
Building operation training improves your understanding of how to optimize a building’s controls and implement changes to create a more comfortable, energy-efficient and environmentally friendly space. Some courses also count toward professional certifications such as the Building Operator Certification and LEED certification.
Who Is Eligible
Individuals who have two or more years of experience in building operations and support facilities within the BGE service territory can participate. Building engineers, stationary engineers, maintenance supervisors, maintenance workers, facility coordinators, HVAC technicians, electricians, operations supervisors and technicians, and others in the field of facility operations and maintenance are encouraged to apply.
To receive a financial incentive, you must be:
- Employed in a position of responsibility for the energy management of the facility or have the potential to influence the building’s energy performance.
- Assigned to work at a commercial or industrial facility within BGE’s service territory and be present at that facility for at least 50% of your working hours.
If you’re a contractor, a representative of your BGE customer must provide a letter, on company letterhead, stating that you’re assigned to work at the customer’s facility and that the BGE customer supports your participation in the Building Operation Training Program.
Your eligibility to receive a financial incentive is based on your successful completion of courses, examinations and assigned on-the-job projects. The incentives cover a percentage of the enrollment fees or tuition and are distributed upon course completion. Associated costs, including but not limited to travel, food, lodging and test fees, are not eligible for incentives.
Prequalified Courses and Certifications
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM)
- Certified Energy Manager in Training (EMIT)
- Certified Building Commissioning Professional (CBCP)
- Certified Lighting Efficiency Professional (CLEP)
- Existing Building Commissioning Professional (EBCP)
- Certified Business Energy Professional (BEP)
- Certified Energy Auditor (CEA)
- Certified Commissioning Authority (CxA)
- BOC Level I
- BOC Level II
- Commercial Building Re-Tuning
- The Design, Operation, and Maintenance of Building Systems, Part I
- The Design, Operation, and Maintenance of Building Systems, Part II
- Air Handling, Water Treatment, and Plumbing Systems
- Energy Management and Controls
- Refrigeration Systems and Accessories
- Electrical Systems and Illumination
- High Performance Principles
- High Performance Practices
- High-Performance Sustainable Building: HVAC Optimization
- Energy Management Professional
- Certified Apprentice Lighting Technician (CALT)
- Certified Senior Lighting Technician (CSLT)
- Certified Facility Manager (CFM)
- LEED-AP-O&M: Accredited Professional Certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design - Building Operations & Maintenance)
- LEED-AP BD&C: Accredited Professional Certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design - Building Design Construction)
- Plant Equipment and Operations
- Air Conditioning I, II, III
- Heat Pumps
- Electric Motor
- The Engineer & Management
- Environmental Impact & Engineering
- Controls I, III