A Quick Home Energy Check-up is a fast, easy way to increase the energy efficiency of your home and help you start saving immediately. When you schedule a Check-up, one of our energy efficiency professionals will come to your home and check the condition of its insulation, heating and air cooling system, lighting, appliances and more to identify simple ways to help you save energy and money!
How It Works
1. Walk-through. A Check-up professional will perform a one-hour walk-through of your home to show you how you can reduce the amount of energy you use and save money. Your Check-up professional will assess the condition of the following items:
- Insulation levels
- Air leakage
- Heating & cooling systems
- Windows & doors
- Lighting & appliances
- Water heating equipment
2. Discussion of findings. After the Check-up, you will receive a report summarizing important findings, recommended improvements and opportunities to reduce your energy use and costs while improving the comfort of your home.
3. Installation of energy-saving measures. With your permission, the Check-up professional will provide and install the following energy-saving measures in your home at no additional cost:
- LED light bulbs
- Three faucet aerators
- Two efficient-flow fixed or handheld showerheads
- Water heater pipe insulation (installed on hot and cold pipes for six feet from water heater)
- Smart Strips
- ShowerStart™ showerhead adapter
4. Get a smart thermostat! When you schedule a Quick Home Energy Check-up, you may be eligible to become a PeakRewardsSM member and have your current thermostat replaced with a professionally installed Wi-Fi enabled smart thermostat (valued at $269)—at no additional cost! With it, you can control your home’s climate, monitor energy efficiency and keep up with maintenance, all from your mobile device.
Certified QHEC Contractors
See a list of our certified QHEC contractors. Only contractors on this list are authorized to perform Quick Home Energy Check-ups on behalf of BGE.
Take Energy Savings to the Next Level
Do you have a room that's cold in the winter or hot in the summer? Installing energy efficiency improvements can improve the comfort of your home. Take the next step with BGE’s $100 Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® audit. A specially trained participating contractor will perform a more detailed home energy audit using advanced diagnostic equipment to reveal targeted home improvements you can make to save energy, save money and improve your home’s safety and durability.
What’s the difference between the Quick Home Energy Check-up and the Home Performance Energy Audit? Get details.
If your home doesn’t require one of the energy-saving measures offered during the Check-up, or it cannot be installed, additional LED bulbs can be substituted as an alternative measure.